Not too long ago, we watched an amazing dvd series, now a movie, Not A Fan, produced by City On A Hill Studio. This movie takes you into the life, or rather death, of a man who finds himself confronting what was his life as a nominal Christian.
When Jesus said to ‘Follow Me‘, he was looking for completely committed followers, not just fans. He wants us to be all in, not just with our toes in the water at the edge of the pool. Meditate on these awesome verses and join in following the King of Kings!
- “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” Matthew 4:19
- But Jesus told him, “Follow me, and let the dead bury their own dead.” Matthew 8:22
- As Jesus went on from there, he saw a man named Matthew sitting at the tax collector’s booth. “Follow me,” he told him, and Matthew got up and followed him. Matthew 9:9
- Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Matthew 10:38
- Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.” Matthew 16:24
- Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” Matthew 19:21
- Jesus said to them, “Truly I tell you, at the renewal of all things, when the Son of Man sits on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. Matthew 19:28
- “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” Matthew 1:17
- As he walked along, he saw Levi son of Alphaeus sitting at the tax collector’s booth. “Follow me,” Jesus told him, and Levi got up and followed him. Mark 2:14
- Jesus looked at him and loved him. “One thing you lack,” he said. “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” Mark 10:21
- After this, Jesus went out and saw a tax collector by the name of Levi sitting at his tax booth. “Follow me,” Jesus said to him, Luke 5:27
- Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me.” Luke 9:23
- He said to another man, “Follow me.” But he replied, “Lord, first let me go and bury my father.” Luke 9:59
- Still another said, “I will follow you, Lord; but first let me go back and say goodbye to my family.” Luke 9:61
- And whoever does not carry their cross and follow me cannot be my disciple. Luke 14:27
- When Jesus heard this, he said to him, “You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” Luke 18:22
- The next day Jesus decided to leave for Galilee. Finding Philip, he said to him, “Follow me.” John 1:43
- When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” John 8:12
- My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. John 10:27
- Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me. John 12:26
- Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, “Follow me!” John 21:19
- Jesus answered, “If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me.” John 21:22
Watch this interview with Kyle Idleman, Teaching Pastor at Southeast Christian Church, talk about what it means to go from being an enthusiastic admirer of Jesus to a completely and utterly, committed follower.
Visit their website for more testimonies at not a fan.
Interested in reading more what this means? Check out the book on Amazon…